We ran the usual local competitions for schools, businesses and individuals. Judging took place in the first week in August, and the awards were announced on 4th September. The winners were:
- Best flowerpot person (private): 1st Jo & Dave Holdway; 2nd Mary Lou Johnston; joint 3rd Edith Jackman & Kathryn Barton, and Caleb Matchett.
- Best flowerpot person (business): 1st Buxton Opera House; 2nd JD Hair & Beauty; 3rd Simply Thai Restaurant.
- Best private garden: 1st John Luke; 2nd Mary Lou Johnston; highly commended Ingrid Lacy & Gary Lindop, Pauline Baines, Jo & Dave Holdway.
- Best business garden: 1st Maxine Chuwen & Quadrant Developments; 2nd Haddon Hall Care Home; 3rd Cramond House B&B.
- Best hanging basket/container (private): 1st W H Warhurst; 2nd Thelma Wellings; 3rd Norma Parkin.
- Best hanging basket/container (business): 1st No 6 Tearooms; 2nd The Cheshire Cheese; 3rd Simply Thai Restaurant.
- Best allotment: joint 1st Ann Thompson and Sandra Worsley; 3rd Janet Miller.
- Best school garden: Buxton Junior School.
To give you an idea of what the judges were looking for, here’s the Judging Criteria.
Alongside the local competition, we entered Ashwood Park in the East Midlands in Bloom It’s Your Neighbourhood Competition – we were awarded ‘Level 3 Advancing’. And of course we entered Buxton in the main East Midlands in Bloom competition and were awarded Silver Gilt with 161 points, a big jump up from last year’s 153 points. In addition the University’s Sensory Garden was awarded a Special Judges Award.
New this year: the Buxton Open GardensTrail took place on weekend 11th & 12th June.
Also new this year: Buxton in Bloomin’ Winter!
Thanks to our sponsors: